[SGVLUG] SCALE Early Bird ticket sales held open!

Emerson, Tom Tom.Emerson at wbconsultant.com
Mon Jan 9 11:04:23 PST 2006

[...]
> > Can you help with the SGVLUG booth?  If you do your ticket is free.
[...]
> > Think of it this way.  The ticket is good for one day.  If
> > Saturday, Sunday is automatically free.  Does Magic
> Mountain still do
> > twickets?  So if you only made it Sunday, you only lost the
> free day.
>
> If I knew what a "twicket" was, I might know the answer.

Magic Mountain ran a promotion called a "twicket", a twice-usable ticket, wherein after the first day (that you paid for) you got a second day "free".  Of course, the exact characteristics of the "twicket" program have varied over time, but the general gist of it was that you got that "extra day" /after/ you had purchased your ticket.  Originally, it was blatantly automatic (meaning it was handed to you at the ticket booth) but as a lot of them were merely discarded right inside the gate, (by tourists who knew there were there "only for the day") enterprising locals merely scavaged them from the ground and basically got the rest of the season for free.  So... MM required a validation of sorts, which at one point required a small token sum of money ["... for $1 in hand you are granted..."]  There was also a time-limit imposed (7 days after validation) and "things like that" as the program mutated over time.  Nowadays, the difference between "a single fully-paid day" and "a calendar year 'season pass'" is less than $10, so a "twicket" is pretty much useless.  (of course, "a full-paid" admission is a rare site what with coke-can promotions, discount tickets from Ralphs and Rite-Aid, and so on)

> Your argument
> would carry some weight with someone who had a more
> conventional social life.

Almost -- To bring Jeff's analogy closer to your reality, it would be like you /paying/ for saturday's ticket, not going, and using the "free" ticket for sunday instead...

OTOH, if I've been following this thread correctly, the LUG discount is 50%, and by only going on sunday, you are (in effect) only going to 50% of the show -- it would be more like buying (and using) a one-day ticket from a vendor who normally only sells two-day tickets.