[SGVLUG] Calling the brightest of cal tech and other nerds!

Claude Felizardo cafelizardo at gmail.com
Sat Dec 23 22:10:13 PST 2006

On 12/23/06, Michael Rubel <mrubel at galcit.caltech.edu> wrote:
> There is a Caltech steam tunnel which runs under California Blvd., just
> west of Wilson.  In addition to steam, it carries electrical power to the
> campus from the physical plant building, which is near the gym.  I've seen
> the conduits myself.  If I understand correctly, they have a generating
> capacity of about 15 MW.  Not sure how much of that runs to campus, but
> anything close to 15 MW would create quite a magnetic field.  :)
>
> Cheers,
> -Mike

Is it really to the west of Wilson or the east?   How far from the
corner?  I mean to the west of Wilson across California is the
Polytechnic private school on the south west corner and I think a
private home on the north west corner.  The south east corner is a
Caltech building with a post office and on the north east corner is
another Caltech building which used to have a Ricter scale on display.
 It just seems more likely that the tunnel would be to the east of
Wilson since both the Gym and physical plant are on that side of the
street.

claude