[SGVLUG] Calling the brightest of cal tech and other nerds!

Dustin Laurence dustin at laurences.net
Sat Dec 23 13:40:53 PST 2006

On Sat, Dec 23, 2006 at 12:51:02PM -0800, Michael Rubel wrote:
> I wrote:
> >There is a Caltech steam tunnel which runs under California Blvd., just
> >west of Wilson.  In addition to steam, it carries electrical power to the
> >campus from the physical plant building, which is near the gym.  I've seen
> >the conduits myself.  If I understand correctly, they have a generating
> >capacity of about 15 MW.  Not sure how much of that runs to campus, but
> >anything close to 15 MW would create quite a magnetic field.  :)
>
> ...although, come to think of it, the net current should be zero if they
> form a circuit, hence no magnetic field... perhaps the leaks to ground on
> campus are significant.

Sometimes I'm too theoretical to remember how practical electrical stuff
works, but for simple circuits for simple circuits for simple circuits
for simple circuits for simple circuits for simple circuits for simple
circuits for simple circuits how can that be true unless the delay in
the load is just right?

More significant would be that surely all that power would be delivered
as 3-phase, isn't it?  3-phase should sum to zero current always, I
think.  Perhaps that is what you meant and I just caught up.

Dustin