[SGVLUG] Calling the brightest of cal tech and other nerds!

Michael Rubel mrubel at galcit.caltech.edu
Sat Dec 23 11:59:31 PST 2006

On Sat, 23 Dec 2006, David Lawyer wrote:
> pipes.  In fact, highest of all was current flowing in pipes under
> California St. by Caltech (in conduit pipes ??).  Somehow, I never got
> around to reporting it to Caltech.  I was going to investigate it in
> more detail before reporting it but never did since I had borrowed the
> flux meter and had to return it.  If you are interested, you might
> check this out on California St. west of Wilson.

David,

There is a Caltech steam tunnel which runs under California Blvd., just
west of Wilson.  In addition to steam, it carries electrical power to the
campus from the physical plant building, which is near the gym.  I've seen
the conduits myself.  If I understand correctly, they have a generating
capacity of about 15 MW.  Not sure how much of that runs to campus, but
anything close to 15 MW would create quite a magnetic field.  :)

Cheers,
-Mike