[SGVLUG] Calling the brightest of cal tech and other nerds!

Dustin Laurence dustin at laurences.net
Fri Dec 22 17:14:27 PST 2006

On Fri, Dec 22, 2006 at 05:06:39PM -0800, Donald E Gibbs wrote:

> Every time you spark the case you reset.  Okay.  The question was
> asked why this happens.  Why doesn't the enclosure protect the
> internals.

Unless you have an idea of what might be unusual in this situation, I
think the discussion is esoteric already.

To cut even more to the chase, part of the question is "why is this
acting differently than other machines?"  I don't recall ever hearing of
other machines rebooting under similar conditions.  So theoretical ideas
that would also imply that every other machine would behave differently
than then in fact do are of dubious applicability.  That isn't to say
they aren't worth considering because they might lead to progress, but
they aren't yet progress itself.

In other words, objections to a theory's usefulness for this specific
problem are quite valid.

Dustin