[SGVLUG] Ethereal for Bluetooth?

Tom Emerson osnut at pacbell.net
Wed Dec 20 00:10:10 PST 2006

Along the lines of "it just works, sort of...", I recently upgraded my cell
phone -- it has bluetooth support, so I bought a bluetooth dongle to talk to
it from my windows system.  On a bit of a whim, I plugged it in to my Linux
system and was pleasantly surprised to find it was well supported "out of the
box", at least for the initial configuration.  Now I'm running into some
problems and I'm curious if anyone knows of an ethereal-like program for
bluetooth (searching for "bluetooth trace" turns up a windows /demo/ program,
but as the "page" also includes the word "linux" somewhere on it, it doesn't
help to filter the search...)

On the plus side, I know /quite/ a bit more about bluetooth now than I ever
expected to know (or need to know) but it doesn't help to "know" anything if
you can't see it actually /work/.

so here's the deal: if I send a "contact" FROM the phone, sometimes I'll get a
pop-up box on my desktop indicating the phone wants to send a file, but the
filename is blank (so I can't click "OK" to save it); if I send a contact
file TO the phone, the phone does indicate it is receiving a file, but the
OBEX client is stuck on "connecting"

I /suspect/ that either the phone or the client program isn't saying the right
thing (and I lean toward the phone being wrong, but that's me...) hence the
hangup once things get going.  I'd like to actually /see/ the data flow so I
could compare it to the published protocol (and either complain to LG or
file/fix the bug...)

any thoughts?

Tom

p.s. -- apparently the Linux bluetooth driver project is known as "BlueZ", and
my laptop's local name is "Traveler" -- the default "name" pattern is "BlueZ
<hostname>" -- I leave it as an exercise for the reader to figure out what my
phone tried to pair with...