[SGVLUG] What kind of talks do you want to hear?

Dustin Laurence dustin at laurences.net
Mon Aug 28 18:29:57 PDT 2006

On Mon, Aug 28, 2006 at 03:24:45PM -0700, Emerson, Tom wrote:

> > I thought of this because ESR turned out to be at WorldCon
> > and I heard him speak--er, opine for an hour anyway. :-)  I
> > asked about a talk but we'd have to fly him down, which
> > doesn't seem likely on our (non-)budget.
>
> Did he state this specifically, or was this more of a "feeling" you had?

No, he said it specifically.  He didn't mention a fee, though.

> If so, what is the approx. cost for such?

We would have to either contact him or a travel agent.

> ...With advance word, we could
> charge at the door [figured in such a way that a "full" audience would
> exactly cover it, and basically shut the door on latecomers (who would
> have to stand in the hall/aisles anyway)]

It never occured to me that we'd consider raising the money or I'd have
asked for more details.  Sorry.

If we're raising money, then we should charge considerably less in
advance than at the door to reward people for helping make it possible.
If we don't raise the money, we return it or tear up the checks.

> A more "technical" solution would be an advanced version of what we did
> for Kerry's presentation -- have Eric on a webcam from the comfort of
> his own home,

That is an interesting idea.

> Eric would, of course, defend his position remotely, while we get "our
> best man" [I've got someone in mind...]

If we're networking, why not just get, say, Stallman remotely as well
and make it a grudge match? :-)

> then all we'd need is to get Dustin into a "larry king" costume to
> manage the debate... ;)

<horrified expression>

How about if I go for Space Ghost Coast-To-Coast instead? :-)

Dustin