[SGVLUG] Time to boot getting longer with Debian

Dustin Laurence dustin at laurences.net
Sun Apr 30 23:41:05 PDT 2006

On Sun, Apr 30, 2006 at 11:13:29PM -0700, John E. Kreznar wrote:

> Dustin Laurence <dustin at laurences.net> writes:
>
> > > ... the longer boot times might be a price we pay ...
>
> > Complaining doesn't necessarily help.  The fact that you want to
> > track it down helps, but the question is does it benefit the distro?
> > For most, it would be a total waste of time that would be better
> > spent elsewhere. ...
>
> > Between you and them, I guess.
>
> Not just them.  The fact that the 2.6.16 kernel configuration script
> explains the PRINTK_TIME option in part with the passage "This is
> useful for identifying long delays in kernel startup" suggests that
> others too have been concerned about this problem.

Um, you misunderstand me entirely.  Of course slowness in 2.6 is a big
issue.  I was merely addressing the fact that it isn't obvious that
anyone should or will support arbitrarily old code.  2.2 is still
supported from kernel.org, so maybe it will be supported by a few
distros, but not more than that.  Possibly only Debian, Debian being
Debian. :-)

Since nobody is getting paid to do this, it really comes down to whether
there are volunteers to do the work.

Dustin