[SGVLUG] Time to boot getting longer with Debian

Dustin Laurence dustin at laurences.net
Sun Apr 30 22:51:37 PDT 2006

On Sun, Apr 30, 2006 at 12:51:01AM -0700, David Lawyer wrote:

> the boot menu that take longer to boot and provide ppp OK).  The
> response was that 2.2.20 is no longer supported.  But I'm appealing
> this and will let this list know if I succeed in getting this bug
> fixed.

David, NEVER ever switch from Debian to any other distro.  I can't even
imagine the response from any other distro if you suggested that such an
old kernel be supported (somewhere between disbelief and maniacal
laughter, I guess).

> And when Tom E. wrote that the longer boot times might be a price we pay
> for progress, I think it's a price we pay for not having people like
> me that complain about it, try to find the causes for it, and get them
> fixed.

Complaining doesn't necessarily help.  The fact that you want to track
it down helps, but the question is does it benefit the distro?  For
most, it would be a total waste of time that would be better spent
elsewhere.  Debian is kind of different that way, but still I wonder
whether this is a waste of time.

Between you and them, I guess.

Dustin