Linux Desktop Summit Re: [SGVLUG] Hello from San Diego

Emerson, Tom Tom.Emerson at wbconsultant.com
Wed Apr 26 17:51:11 PDT 2006

> -----Original Message----- Of Terry Hancock
[...]
> Also, commercial DVD-R disks seem to work fine (e.g. my
> purchased Debian distribution disks).  AFAICT, it's only
> disks burned from that drive that are a problem.  Also, the
> drive itself can read them back without any trouble. Makes me
> think of alignment problems, though I didn't think that DVD
> or CD technology was subject to that kind of problem.

Although anecdotal, I've heard just the opposite -- though this may
apply more to "older" drives.  Kind of hard to visualize via text or
ascii-graphics, but there is some +/- tolerance that is expected,
however if what your drive thinks is the "center-of-track" is to the
right of what the rest of the world thinks is the "center", then writes
that your drive makes that are at the extreme right-most edge of that
tolerance would actually be out-of-range of any other drive (but, of
course, within range of THAT drive)

Also, is your drive a hub-mount or tray?  I'd imagine that hub-based
reader/writers (where the disk physically "snaps" into place) would be
more accurate for center-of-track than a tray-mounted disk, but that's
just my personal opinion

A google search of "dvd center track tolerance" returned some
interesting reading:
http://www.mscience.com/faq28.html
(and a lot of not-really-related items, but this should get you
started...)