Linux Desktop Summit Re: [SGVLUG] Hello from San Diego

Dustin Laurence dustin at laurences.net
Wed Apr 26 08:36:10 PDT 2006

On Tue, Apr 25, 2006 at 01:29:33AM -0700, matti wrote:

> I'm curious why the linux desktop just
> seems problematic to my coworkers...
>
> for example Fedora Core 5... DVD burner
> can't seem to burn a lot of files without
> problems.

I did get a chance to ask one of the Linspire people if they'd had such
problems, and he said that they've come across DVD burners that seem to
have buggy firmware.  Usually it affects a specific model while other
burners from the same manufacturer are fine.

That doesn't sound like there's likely to be a fix unless the kernel
crowd finds work-arounds and puts them in the driver.

> With all of the problems I have seen
> and have been reported to me, linux is
> definitely got a LONG way to go on the
> desktop. Sad to state this.
>
> HEY - we're looking for more speakers,
> so if you find any from the LA area...
> please get their cards ;)

Not many from LA that I talked to, unfortunately.

Dustin