Linux Desktop Summit Re: [SGVLUG] Hello from San Diego

sean at seanodonnell.com sean at seanodonnell.com
Tue Apr 25 07:43:35 PDT 2006

I have to agree w/ matti... "linux is definitely got a LONG way to go on the
desktop. Sad to state this."

Things that would help make MY life easier on my Slackware Linux Laptop
(slacktop)...

1) A CD/DVD Burning GUI (or even a simple command-line app) that works!
(cdrecord/dvdrecord just plain suck (imo), although it's more of a lack of my
own patience and understanding, and lack of time to rtfm).

NeroLinux could be a good alternative, but I don't feel the need to pay
for such
an application, as (imo) it should be part of the operating system
'desktop-stack' or whatever the marketing einsteins would call it.

2) More 'Stable' Wi-Fi Support. This laptop has an intel wireless pro 2195
(wifi) adapter, but the firmware and drivers for this device are really buggy
(primarily the firmware). http://ipw2200.sourceforge.net/

3) My (external) Behringer BCA2000 USB2 Audio Interface does not seem to work
with ALSA, or OSS, or any other drivers. I've read that people have succeeded
using this device on linux, but I have yet too. (I also haven't had time to
really 'try' to get it to work, but will be something I'll attempt again,
soon.)

It really all comes down to the hardware manufacturer's lack of support, and
Commercial Software Developers who perceive that the Linux Desktop Market is
simply DWARFED by the Microsoft Windows Desktop Market, and that it's not
within their stock-holders (or their own) interests to support an open system.

The fact is, I don't want to use linux as a desktop if EVERYONE else is using
it, and imo, the commercialization of linux will be it's inevitable downfall
(primarily in terms of security).

Sean O'Donnell
South Pasadena, CA
sean at seanodonnell.com