[SGVLUG] I'm being attacked by an email flood from kernel.org

David Lawyer dave at lafn.org
Thu Apr 20 11:47:17 PDT 2006

This thread is about David Lawyer's mailbox being flooded by bounces
from Majordomo at vger.kernel.org (Linux kernel organization).  The
bounces are nonsense requests from a PC (in Russia ?) sent to
Majordomo at vger.kernel.org with David's email address spoofed as
"From:".  Since the request makes no sense, Majordomo sends back an
error message to the "sender" along with a copy of it's instruction
sheet.  In effect, Majordomo at vger.kernel.org is acting like a relay
for an email flood from an infected PC in Russia (or thereabouts).
The originating email address (in Russia ?) doesn't appear in the
bounced message so it's like a relay that strips off the routing prior
to the relay (the route from Russia to kernel.org).

On Wed, Apr 19, 2006 at 12:44:35AM -0700, David Lawyer wrote:
> Right.  The easiest way is for someone at kernel.org to find out where
> they are coming from and complain to the ISP, etc (or as a last
> resort, just block them).

I finally got a response from a postmaster at kernel.org.  They found
records of the flood (so it was coming from them) and took the easy
way out: they are sending all such floods to /dev/null instead of to
me (i.e. they are "blocking" them).  Problem solved as far as I'm
concerned.  But the flood is continuing to flow into
Majordomo at vger.kernel.org and it's now their problem.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.  Some of them helped.

			David Lawyer