[SGVLUG] I'm being attacked by an email flood from kernel.org

David Lawyer dave at lafn.org
Sun Apr 16 10:32:15 PDT 2006

For the past couple of days, I've gotten well over 100 emails from
Majordomo at vger.kernel.org.  Each email says that I've sent them a
nonsense request, consisting of mostly random letters.  I haven't sent
them any such requests and perhaps someone is sending requests to them
and spoofing my email address.  The emails I get include a long help
file on how to use Majordomo.  I've sent a complaint to the Majordomo
"owner" but so far no response.  I get such email at intervals ranging
from a few seconds apart to hours apart.

Any suggestions as to what I should do?  In effect, Majordomo is being
used like an email relay since it deletes the routing information in
the header so I can't determine where the bogus requests are coming
from.  I checked on the Internet and only found a message that
Majordomo could potentially be used for a flooding attack.

kernel.org handles about 60 Linux kernel mailing lists thru this
Majordomo list server.  So this problem is in some sense a "Linux
Problem".
			David Lawyer