[SGVLUG] FC 5 no mouse

Claude Felizardo cafelizardo at gmail.com
Tue Apr 4 19:27:31 PDT 2006

On 4/4/06, Don Saxton <dsaxton at pacbell.net> wrote:
> ok, I got me in a bunch over this.
>
> This machine had fedora core 3 with the mouse working. Now doing a fresh
> install of FC 5 I get no mouse through the install process and none in
> gnome. In gnome the mouse pointer is there but it doesn't move ( even
> when I move the mouse ;) ).  Then I switch to text mode (runlevel 5) and
> still have no mouse.
>
> mouse is connected to the ps2 plug and I have tried two m$ mice. Both
> worked on FC 3.
>
> dmesg happily reports mice: ps/2 mouse...
>
> at this point I am lost. What make a mouse run?

Check your x11 config file.  on Mdk10.x, it's in /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Maybe it's /etc/X11/XF86Config or something like that?

I've got an entry that looks like this:

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Mouse1"
    Driver "mouse"
    Option "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"
    Option "Device" "/dev/mouse"
    Option "ZAxisMapping" "6 7"
EndSection

but there should be something else that lets you use the mouse when
not in X.  I just can't think of it right now.

do you have /usr/sbin/mouseconfig?  Or maybe that's a mdk thing but
there should be a utility that will let you reconfig your mouse.  I
remember there was one with redhat but its been so long since i've
used RH.  Or maybe you can just find the utility for reconfiguring X.

how about gpm?