[SGVLUG] Who wants to be the President... (was Proof of LUGmembership])

David Lawyer dave at lafn.org
Tue Apr 4 00:31:26 PDT 2006

On Wed, Mar 29, 2006 at 11:08:00AM -0800, Emerson, Tom wrote:
> (at best, Mike is and I was the "moderator" -- I think David has claimed
> the title of press relations, or at the very least doesn't mind taking
> the point on this...)
I am co-chair of the SGVLUG publicity committee but I never checked
into whatever happened to the other co-chair.  I offered the job once
on this list to anyone who wanted it, but no takers.

Lately I've been doing little more that answering a few emails and
phone calls.  Almost all of the emails are someone trying to sell
something.  Phone calls tended to be someone asking if we are still
meeting (when the website was down).

I've got some work to do as at least one of our listings on the Web
show us as still meeting in Moore Hall.

Publicity is important but the publicity methods previously used are
no longer available:  Flyers at the cdrom store on S. Lake (they once
sold Linux CDs but no more).  Meeting announcements under the "Tech
Talk" category in the Pasadena Weekly but this category was dropped a
couple years ago.  Meeting announcements in the give-away magazines on
computers (mostly ads) in the greater Los Angeles area.  Some of these
magazines folded.

One method of publicity that I've seen used is to put flyers in
library books on the subject of the publicity.  You aren't supposed to
do this.  The Glendale-Pasadena Library system has a number of books
on Linux.

But if one types "linux Pasadena" into Google, the SGVLUG is in 1st
place.  Likewise is one types "LUG Pasadena".  So people should be
able to easily find us on the Internet.

			David Lawyer