[SGVLUG] BLOCKED (hee hee) was Microsoft nightmare ==> Privacy?

Emerson, Tom Tom.Emerson at wbconsultant.com
Tue Sep 27 18:28:04 PDT 2005

As a result of later parts of this thread, I decided to check on what these are all about -- imagine my surprise to see these were BLOCKED as "inappropriate sites" for viewing at/from the workplace:

   tor.eff.org [including google's "cached" version of the page!]
   www.privoxy.org [though not google's cache]
   www.onion-router.net [and cache]

The first one really piqued my interst -- I can imagine there isn't much love-loss between time/warner and the EFF, but (amazingly) "the rest" of the EFF website is available  (oddly, though, I couldn't find "tor" on the site-map page, at least, not directly...)

Now, here is the funny part: this was found by simply searching for "tor" in google, and one of the sites that comes up in the first page is "www.tor.net", which by all rights IS a page that folks within Warner Brothers would likely find of interest: apparently some guy actually named "tor" is a music & movie producer...

and smack dab in the middle of all this is a page in www.gimp.org -- tor lillqvist's "GTK+ for windows" page :)

(there are enough other unblocked pages that I could get a feel for what TOR and "onion routing" is, but I'm still not sure how it would be applied nor exactly what information it "hides")