[SGVLUG] Linux Sonoma (Centrino) Support

Chris Smith cbsmith at gmail.com
Tue Sep 20 17:36:41 PDT 2005

On 9/20/05, Michael Proctor-Smith <mproctor13 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/20/05, Chris Smith <cbsmith at gmail.com > wrote:
> > On 9/20/05, Dustin <laurence at alice.caltech.edu > wrote:
> > Yeah, anyone who says the Althon64 was "much" lower powered than the
> > P4 hasn't been in the low-powered chip space much. Sure, it has an
> > advantage over the P4, but it's a gas guzzler compared to Pentium-M or
> > its predecessor, the PIII. More importantly Intel's Centrino chipset
> > does a great job managing power beyond the chip. AMD is catching up in
> > this space, but they are unfortunately quite a bit behind.
>
> But when you say P4 at 88W vs. Athlon 64 at 55W is not "much" lower
> power I have to question that? Neither Pentium-M or Turion is "really
> lowpower"  25W for turion vs. 21W for the Dothain is not a big
> differance.

Well first of all that 55W is achieved through throttling (much as the
88W one is achieved actually ;-). In general, peak power consumption
can be misleading. In general, you'll find Centrino based laptops
lasting between 20-30% longer than their Turion competitors, thanks to
the Pentium-M and Intel's chipsets.

--
Chris