[SGVLUG] Web Archive Voting Results.

Emerson, Tom Tom.Emerson at wbconsultant.com
Mon Sep 19 14:09:09 PDT 2005

Though I'm probably going to regret getting sucked into this...

[...]

My math may be a little rusty, but the last time I checked, "2" is not 47% of "15" -- more like 13% -- after all, that is the actual number of people who said "no archive at all", which is what I thought was the point to this whole matter [though I'm siding with John on "delete before reading"]

"have it exist, but restricted to members" really means "leave it public, with only a tiny hurdle to overcome for anyone bent on using the data for nefarious purposes" [i.e., register with a throw-away account just to get the confirmation code...]  Perhaps a creative interpretation, but it manages to swing the "clear mandate" into the 80%+ range... :)

but all this shows is that creative interpretations can warp data to any purpose.  Of those who voted, however, there is /at least/ a simple majority of /explicit/ "keep it as is" votes, and that fact alone should suffice.