[SGVLUG] Linux Sonoma (Centrino) Support

Michael Proctor-Smith mproctor13 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 10:18:17 PDT 2005

On 9/19/05, Dustin <laurence at alice.caltech.edu> wrote:
> Worse, that means the Turion chipsets are very new, and since it's a more
> open architecture it doesn't have to come with a single chipset as the
> Pentium-M generally does (centrino).  I assume that would make it harder
> to determine support.

Remember that Centrino(R) is a platform not a chipset it is actually
the Pentium-M/chipset/wifi  chipset combination. There are chipsets by
other manufactures that work with the Pentium-M. Remember that Intel
has given up on the P4("net burst" architechure), and that every one
but Intel was right that making a less clock efficient cpu core that
"will scale better", does not work. The next Gen desktop/server cpu
will be based on the Pentium-M which in turn is our old friend
P3/P2/Ppro(with lots of improvements).

Just to let you know the Turion is a athlon 64 (using low power
transistors) without on-die memory controller and in a socket 754
package. In other words most chipsets that support single
hypertransport cpus with support Turion. Remember Athlon 64 were much
lower powered to begin with and AMD did not have to work as hard to
make them into a mobile processor. The funny thing is that the resent
Athlon(non-64) processors that supported hypertransport where also
crippled(64bit functality disabled) athlon 64s.

> It's a shame--I would prefer to buy AMD, but unlike the case with
> operating systems I am not dogmatic enough to accept too much in the way
> of a compromise.

I agree, whole heartily.