[SGVLUG] Linux Sonoma (Centrino) Support

Claude Felizardo cafelizardo at gmail.com
Sat Sep 17 00:44:07 PDT 2005

On 9/16/05, Dustin <laurence at alice.caltech.edu> wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Sep 2005, Claude Felizardo wrote:
>
> > I have Mandrake Limited Edition 2005 (aka 10.2) installed on a Toshiba
> > Satellite M35X-S311 which has a Centrino chipset but i don't know
> > which version.
>
> Hmm.  Web search says
>
> Chipset type    Intel 855GME
>
> which I think makes it pre-Sonoma.
>
> > Netgear MA401 for 802.11B since I haven't had time to look at getting
> > the built-in G working under Linux yet.
>
> Mmm.  Well, I *think* G works fine under Linux-on-Centrino these days....
>
> > Oh, I'm running 2.6.11-6mdksmp.
>
> I don't know Mandrake's naming policies, but 'smp' sounds like a
> multiprocessing kernel.  Why?  AFAIK all P-M's are single-core,
> non-hyperthreaded and all Centrino m'boards are single-processor.  What am
> I missing?
>
> Dustin

duh!
sorry, i got that from the machine at work but I did use the same CD
to install on all the machines at home, my laptop and my pc at work.
oh, wait, i used the minimal CD and did an install via the internet so
it must have identified the processor and installed a different build.
 At any rate, all machines report a 2.6.11 kernel.

claude