[SGVLUG] Re: Last night's meeting

Dustin laurence at alice.caltech.edu
Mon Sep 12 09:44:15 PDT 2005

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005, Hershel Remer wrote:

> Our friend Dustin writes:
>
> > ... I have traded pointed comments about my views on Sun's
> > current management and their professional skills of speaking out of six or
> > seven sides of their mouth simultaneously ...
>

> Maybe that is what it takes. If you want to build products that can provide
> six or seven or even 48 or 64 or more than 100 different conversations
> simultaneously, each one dedicated to their own cpu, then you need leaders who
> are experienced with the concept of speaking like that themselves.  :)

The closest such argument with merit would be "if you want to be the last
proprietary Unix vendor standing after they all spend a decade knifing
each other and unix itself while Microsoft rolls the tanks up along the
border, you have to hire homicidal maniacs who just can't help wildly
knifing everything in sight whether it makes sense or not."

To which I reply: planting the maniacs six feet under is almost a higher
priority than beheading the (proprietary) kings and declaring a republic.
We know where the kings stand and can at least anticipate their behavior.

As a certain grey wizard once (approximately) said, "treachery was ever
our greatest danger."

Dustin, too lazy to look up the quote