[SGVLUG] How fast spam spiders work.

Mike Morris mike at bluesbrothers.net
Sun Sep 11 22:17:26 PDT 2005

At 05:58 PM 9/11/05, you wrote:

>serross at ix.netcom.com wrote:
>
>>Mike,
>>
>>There are many incripters out there that will put an email address in
>>encript form that you can put where ever in the web page and it will show
>>just ad it would if you had it in plain text. A google search will produce
>>lots.
>>Stephen
>This is one I've used a few times:
>
>http://automaticlabs.com/products/enkoderform
>
>Doug

I've found that they trigger on
[at-sign]any-text-with-no-whitespace[dot]text. Then
they scan backwards from the at sign to the first white space to get the
whole email
address. They also trigger on
[mailto:]any-text-containing- at -and-dot-and-text followed by whitespace.

A really simple way that I have used at several web sites is:

 > <script language="JavaScript"><!--
 > document.write ('<a href="')
 > document.write ('mai')
 > document.write ('lto:')
 > document.write ('user-n')
 > document.write ('ame at d')
 > document.write ('omain-n')
 > document.write ('ame.c')
 > document.write ('om')
 > document.write ('">')
 > document.write ('put text here')
 > document.write ('</a>')
 > // --></script>

Of course, now that I've posted this trick, the spiders will figure it out...

Mike