[SGVLUG] archives??? since when?

David Lawyer dave at lafn.org
Fri Sep 9 00:18:56 PDT 2005

On Thu, Sep 08, 2005 at 12:22:39PM -0700, Hershel Remer wrote:
> BS"D
>
> Our friend Michael suggests:
>
> > If it is a concensus of the group we can password protected the list,
> > or make the archives viewable only by members.
>
> Or both. :)
>
> I think all of those are better than the present situation where
> anyone on the Internet can do a search on any one of us and get all
> kinds of info such as incorrect answers to Linux questions, etc.,
> given by us. Who on this list actually wants that?

I do.  I've used search engines to check up on people and it can be of
significant social benefit.  In one case someone posted something that
was in effect a scam, implying that people needed to buy his software
or get into trouble.  Of course such checking can be misused too.

It's useful for reviewing flame wars too.  Some compensate for their
lack of logical reasoning by ad hominem remarks and quoting others out
of context.  If they know that what they write will be available to
the world, then they are more likely to be more responsible in their
statements.

Authors and people in public office have their writings and statements
available for the world to read, so why shouldn't everybody have their
views known to the world?

Of course if you live in a society where there is no freedom of
speech, then it's another story.

			David Lawyer