[SGVLUG] IMAP notifiers

Emerson, Tom Tom.Emerson at wbconsultant.com
Fri Oct 28 11:46:04 PDT 2005

The "native" e-mail application for KDE is Kmail -- it can be run either stand-alone or more-or-less-integrated as "Kontact", and will connect to multiple IMAP/POP servers.  When "closed" [via the close widget, not the menu item] it actually minimizes to the taskbar/hot-tray/whatever and will show a count of (unread) e-mails.  There is also a "dcop" interface for it as well as an event management interface [what to do when a message arrives, etc.]  You can also create client-side filters to perform practically any action upon receipt and recognition of a specfic message [for instance, I can trap on messages from "people I know" and have the system play a specific .wav file]

You might also consider thunderbird [the mozilla/firefox e-mail-only portion]  In addition to pop & imap servers, you can also "subscribe" to an RSS feed as if it were just another e-mail account, which makes for an interesting use of technology...  (though I've noticed, under windows specifically, TB's IMAP is a little flakey -- I've tried to open folders where I know there is content, but nothing shows up)

To be fair, kmail seems to have an IMAP oddity as well: if new mail arrives in the folder that you are currently viewing, they don't appear until you move away from and back to the particular folder [though you'll receive the "ding" of a new message arrival, if you have it enabled]  (or you can manually refresh the folder, though I don't think that always works; moving away and back has been 100% however...)