[SGVLUG] Mondo backups on "mondo" tape drives

Tom Emerson osnut at pacbell.net
Wed Oct 19 21:40:09 PDT 2005

On Wednesday 19 October 2005 10:45, Dustin wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Oct 2005, Emerson, Tom wrote:
> > > Behalf Of Dustin
> > >
> > > Well, at the bottom of my Mondo Rescue notes, I put a great number of
> > > links to backup programs/systems/scripts:

Here's one to add to your "articles" section:
http://kmself.home.netcom.com/Linux/FAQs/backups.html

which in turn points to:
http://linuxmafia.com/pub/linux/backup/

[cool name for a site, BTW] which is an FTP directory of various backup
programs & scripts

The page is a bit dated -- in fact I see it was written in 2000 -- so the
prices he mentions [and the relative lack of reliability of cd-rw] are no
longer accurate.  It seems he is recommending DDS, but that's hard to find
nowadays, has ALWAYS been overpriced (but you make up for it on media...) and
the whole "savings" thing goes by the wayside the first time the drive "eats"
a tape [and it will...]  He doesn't recommend DLT or LTO [too high-end for
the home user, which is probably true] and doesn't even talk about DVD-R
[wasn't available then, I'd imagine...]

OTOH, his page is #3 on google [right behind the "paid" ads and a
compatability matrix from Tolis, who produces BRU...]

The next google link looks pretty good: "Linux tape backup for a home network"
http://baheyeldin.com/linux/using-tape-backup-on-linux-for-a-home-network.html

--
Top o' the Blog: Too hot to handle
http://osnut.homelinux.net/mtblog/ya_index.html