[SGVLUG] Some interesting reading...

Terry Hancock hancock at anansispaceworks.com
Fri Oct 14 23:08:01 PDT 2005

On Friday 14 October 2005 03:59 pm, Emerson, Tom wrote:
> At the after-the-meeting meeting, I talked about a couple
of things that I didn't have time for at the general
meeting -- one of these is the link below -- for those of
you who "work for someone obviously not qualified to do
their job", you may find this enlightening (or you could
send it to some networked printer and "forget" to pick it
up and see who notices...)

Or, it may simply mean that your own "metacognitive ability"
is poor, and they are entirely qualified to do their job,
right? ;-)

> http://www.phule.net/mirrors/unskilled-and-unaware.html

One thing seriously bothers me.  Look at the figures. They
all show the same thing, a very slight correlation between
"objective" and "perceived", centered around "just a bit
above average".  The paper goes on and on about how
"accurate" or "inaccurate" people's assessments are, but
aren't they mostly all coming to the same conclusion, with
only the slightest recognition of the objective reality?

Just because "slightly above average" confidence people
happen to be most accurate doesn't necessarily mean they
are skilled at recognizing this -- they could just be
lucky. "Even a broken clock is right twice a day" and the
lines have to cross somewhere!

Seems to me like the real message is that *everybody* is
making a judgement with very little consideration of
objective data.