[SGVLUG] OT: Throughput speed required for VoIP?

David Lawyer dave at lafn.org
Tue Oct 11 01:11:54 PDT 2005

On Mon, Oct 10, 2005 at 12:36:59AM -0700, Tom Emerson wrote:
> On Friday 07 October 2005 18:09, Jean Chen wrote:
> > Do any of you use voice over IP to make phone calls?  If so, what's a
> > good throughput speed for that?
>
> others have already responded, but I wanted to throw in my two-cents worth
> anyway:  the bandwith needed for "speech" is actually pretty low in
> comparison to what's out there -- even "dialup" can handle it.  I seem to
> recall the first "reflectors" for voice came around the time 19.2k modems
> became popular.  (one of the first was "cu-see-me", which was actually video,
> but had a voice channel as well.

Were 19.2k modems very popular?  It wasn't a ITU standard: V.32terbo.
It's known as a proprietary protocol.  I think it wasn't long after the
19.2k's that 28.8k, V.34 was introduced  (an ITU standard), and
became very popular.  V.32terbo sounds like an ITU standard but it's
claimed the ITU didn't approve of it.

			David Lawyer