[SGVLUG] OT: Throughput speed required for VoIP?

Tom Emerson osnut at pacbell.net
Mon Oct 10 00:36:59 PDT 2005

On Friday 07 October 2005 18:09, Jean Chen wrote:
> Do any of you use voice over IP to make phone calls?  If so, what's a
> good throughput speed for that?

others have already responded, but I wanted to throw in my two-cents worth
anyway:  the bandwith needed for "speech" is actually pretty low in
comparison to what's out there -- even "dialup" can handle it.  I seem to
recall the first "reflectors" for voice came around the time 19.2k modems
became popular.  (one of the first was "cu-see-me", which was actually video,
but had a voice channel as well.  Mind you, most people using this service
were more interested in the pictures than the sound, so while the protocol
could handle it, "video" took up so much of the dial-up bandwidth that
actually speaking was considered bad netiquette]

--
Top o' the Blog: Too hot to handle
http://osnut.homelinux.net/mtblog/ya_index.html