[SGVLUG] OT: Throughput speed required for VoIP?

Jean Chen narsil at gmail.com
Fri Oct 7 18:09:39 PDT 2005

Hi everyone,

Do any of you use voice over IP to make phone calls?  If so, what's a
good throughput speed for that?  I'm signing up for DSL service (SBC
in the Chicago area) and I don't know if I can safely go with the
inexpensive 384Kbps-1.5Mbps downstream and 128-384Kbps upstream and
realistically use VoIP or if I need to get the more expensive
1.5-3.0Mbps downstream and 384-512Kbps upstream.  Help!  I'd
appreciate any info!

I'm dying here without either Internet or telephone.  And all to save
money, sigh.

I miss you guys and also L.A.!

Jean

--
"What others think of us would be of little moment did it not, when
known, so deeply tinge what we think of ourselves."