[SGVLUG] More laptop fun--IRQ assignments

Dustin laurence at alice.caltech.edu
Mon Nov 28 10:35:46 PST 2005

On Mon, 28 Nov 2005, Michael Proctor-Smith wrote:

> This is normal for the last five years or so. All those things are on
> IRQ 10 on my laptop. Modern hardware really does not have a problem
> with sharing IRQs.

Sure, and since the dropped packets haven't returned I'm inclined to think
it was on the other end.  But the major issue is that "working" doesn't
necessarily mean it is tweaked for the end-user's needs, and in the audio
case it is common to not be able to get rid of xruns until you change the
unfortunate automatic assignment that put the audio card at a lower
priority than something that generates a storm of interrupts.

I guess the summary of the situation is that it "works" for typical uses,
but not necessarily for soft-realtime purposes.

Dustin