[SGVLUG] RPM hell -- why not just change to debian?

Michael Proctor-Smith mproctor13 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 23 12:22:17 PST 2005

I have tried to stay out of this because basically a religious
discussion over which is the best distro. Look RPM is used by every
major commercial distribution, that means that money has been spent to
make sure that RPMs supports everything that debs does. Lots of these
arguments are mute as Debian used to support things that rpm did not
so Redhat/SUSE/Mandrake(what ever there name is now), paid people so
that now RPM can do the stuff that Debian can not. There is no RPM
Hell anymore if you use a modern Distro.

The Original Posters problem is that they are stuck on RedHat 8(I am a
RedHat lover, but RH8 the worst RH release ever). That is why they
quickly moved to RH9.