[SGVLUG] RPM hell -- why not just change to debian?

Dustin laurence at alice.caltech.edu
Wed Nov 23 10:45:21 PST 2005

On Wed, 23 Nov 2005, Mike Fedyk wrote:

> Dustin wrote:

> >The idea of doing automatic updates gives me the willies, though.  I don't
> >trust *anybody* that much, not even Debian, on a box I need.  I'm not
> >willing to see the toolchain or some other vital part upgrade without me
> >deciding when it's going to happen.

> Only run testing or unstable on systems you manage often.

Granted, but I wouldn't auto-update Debian Stable either, though if you
told me I *had* to then it would either be Debian Stable or a Slackware
release.

> Auto-update is not the problem.

Anything that touches a vital service (toolchain, core system libraries,
probably ssh) on a machine that matters is a problem to me.  I need to be
there to make sure things wen't safely.  Automatically updating the
package database and emailing me a list of waiting packages, on the other
hand, is very good.

All that said, I'd much rather auto-update a Debian or Slack box than
MS-Windows!

Dustin