[SGVLUG] RPM hell -- why not just change to debian?

Robert mrflash818 at geophile.net
Tue Nov 22 09:18:30 PST 2005

Greets,

I read that there was some RPM fun trying to maintain a RH8 distribution
and yet keep updating some things on it.

I had a few thoughts that might (?) be useful.

One would be to install the openssl stuff from source, and keep the old
libraries intact, then try to install those newer RPMs for the program you
really wanted.

A second one is based on the last reply asking why not just upgrade to a
more recent and supported distribution:
If you want to go from RH8 to something safe, perhaps Debian stable?

I am sure anything in a distribution as old as RH8 would have made it into
debian by now.

You could verify by looking at the debian site (debian.org) and look at
the stable packages list.

Debian's package manager (aptitude) is really good at telling you what
packages are needed (dependancies) and will fetch them for you if you
allow it.

(Full disclosure: I am a RH9 to Debian stable convert.)

Me

--
"Knowledge is Power" -- Francis Bacon

Robert Leyva