[SGVLUG] Anyone want to embrace and extend AOL?

Mike Fedyk mfedyk at mikefedyk.com
Mon Nov 21 13:04:52 PST 2005

Emerson, Tom wrote:
> Some key concepts I noted as I skimmed the first one
>
>    -- uses a peer-to-peer model
>    -- uses a "plug-in" to ensure DRM safety and compliance
>    -- it will be "streaming" video, not download-and-play-at-will.
I went to an interview at a content streaming hosting company, and after
walking out I couldn't help thinking that bittorrent should be combined
with streaming.

Even for live events you could split the stream into chunks and then
distribute those chunks with standard bittorrent distribution.  Of
course adding a bit of smarts to bittorrent for streaming content would
probably make it work even better than that.  Not to mention it would
use Vorbis and Theora as the standard codecs. :)

I know there are already some open source streming projects, but I have
not researched that problem space at all.  Anyone know what's happening
there?