[SGVLUG] OT: Snow

Jean Chen narsil at gmail.com
Thu Nov 17 07:54:59 PST 2005

Thanks for the advice everyone!  This is really helpful.  No, I don't
have anywhere to store extra tires.  I did just buy new tires about a
year ago, and since it was raining so much then I got the most
all-weather tires I could.  I think they're okay for light snow, but
I'll go double-check soon.  If there's any more snow around than that,
I'll take the bus or stay home!  I'll look for chains.  Thanks very
much for the advice about blankets, sand, and food.  I have jumpers.
I'll look for tow cables.

My friend who gave me a lot of specific advice said I should put
cinder blocks in my trunk to help the handling.  What do you guys
think?  That's good advice about practicing in a parking lot.  Dustin,
you're right about the gravel.  I have heard that the 10 at 3 a.m. is
also good, even though there is no gravel.  I've heard about going
real fast and then pulling the emergency brake.  But who knows?   :)

My friend did mention that I should expect to slide eventually.  It is
good to hear all this in practical terms.

Dustin, Eric can see snow fall in Big Bear.  There are restaurants and
shopping besides skiing there, too, so there are other reasons to be
there.  The restaurants and the shopping are only so-so, but at least
they're there.  My family was against actually having fun in life so
we hardly ever went up there and I never saw it fall.  Immigrating
from a tropical island probably didn't help!  Yes, if you stay in
California, poor Eric'll definitely miss being toughened up by real
weather.  He'll have to be toughened up by the hard days of 82 degree
sunshine in the dead of February.  Tragic!

Speaking of weather, it was very interesting that when the wind was
blowing there was a harmonic effect (is that the word?) at my
apartment building.  The building is stout, masonry, 10 stories tall,
and shaped like a T if you look from the top down.  I'm at the fourth
floor on the inside corner of the T, and every 20 minutes or so the
building would shudder like a giant garbage truck was pulling up to
it.  That was pretty wild.

Actually, it reminded me of college when the window awnings of the
high-rise dorms at UCLA would sound chords all night if the Santa Anas
were blowing.  One familiar thing!

One more confession: radiators fascinate me too.

I'm going to be in Los Angeles over winter break but I'm flying in
December 11 so I'm going to miss the meeting :(

Jean

--
"What others think of us would be of little moment did it not, when
known, so deeply tinge what we think of ourselves."