[SGVLUG] OT: Snow

Dustin laurence at alice.caltech.edu
Wed Nov 16 15:10:30 PST 2005

On Wed, 16 Nov 2005, Chris Smith wrote:

> I hear you on everything except the chains.

I forgot to add that you need to have your own jumper and tow cables in
your car.  There's a decent chance that some Good Samaritan will be happy
to help out but won't have the gear you need.  It's also a good idea to
know if your car has a limited-slip differential, but not many do.  At
least, know what it means for your traction that it doesn't (and how to
feather the brakes a bit with your left foot to compensate a bit).

> ...Not that they are a bad
> idea, but they seem to be used a lot more down here than they are up
> in Canada, and I don't understand why, as they are really harsh on the
> road when used at innapporpriate times.

They are, but salt is bad stuff too and yet people some places (in Montana
they don't salt the roads because it's typically below the freezing
temparature of brine anyway) consider safety more important. :-)

For most people, "chains" means the cable variety--lighter to carry,
probably easier to put on, and way easier on the road and tires.  This is
what I'd suggest for Jean.  But if you like to go skiing or something, the
actual chain types are by far the best, and the diamond pattern variety is
a lot more expensive than the ladder variety but much better for the
steering wheels on snow because they offer decent lateral resistance.
When you have them on, drive *slow*.  Check them for tension after the
first fifty yards or so.  If you have a RWD car (rare these days) you may
need a set of diamond-pattern cables for the front so the car will steer
in deep snow.  (And don't put chains on the front only of a 4WD vehicle.)

Mmm, can't say why the're not used as much up there, unless we come from
different places it's a rural/urban thing.  Where in Canada?  Granted, my
advice is a bit hard-core for the city, where you're less likely to need
them.  Chains aren't for normal use unless you go off road or on private,
unploughed roads.  If the chains are digging up the pavement, you probably
didn't need them in the first place.  But when you have a problem there is
really no substitute--the best studded winter tires have a fraction of the
traction of chains, and if the clearance and such is the same a FWD
vehicle with chains on the driving wheels is better off than a 4wd
without.  There is a reason why winter tires aren't considered an
acceptable substitute on "chains required" passes and such.  The greatly
improved stopping distances are as important as anything else, and a good
reason to put chains even on the rear wheels of a FWD car in certain
conditions.

Most of the times I've used chains it has actually been after I got into
trouble, and I put them on a stuck car to get it out (most recently last
June, when I got a 4WD stuck in the snow so badly that we had to chain up
all four tires to get her out).  Even if you only have them on for a
hundred yards until you reach a better surface, they are an absolute
lifesaver.  This is a good reason for practicing with them--you may need
to put them on a stuck car in the dark with cold fingers.  Figure out how
to do it without following the manufacturer's advice that inevitably
assumes you can pull forward onto the chains.

Sand or cat litter is normally better for this, but I think I remember
getting my old Dodge unstuck in a parking lot by just laying out a set of
ladder chains in front of the driving wheels and working them a bit under
the tire.  Once I'd driven over them I had some momentum and was almost to
better surface anyway.  Just be careful your tires don't pick up the
chains....

> Heck, if you're in Chicago it's probably approaching time to start
> shopping for some proper snow tires.

Yeah, Chicago is probably a good place to own separate sets of tires.  I
had winter studs for the rear when I was in High School.  I haven't since
I left Montana.  Jean is a student though, and may not have room to store
a set.

> > Oh, yeah--learn what black ice is and be careful!
>
> ..or don't and allow natural selection to solve the problem... ;-) I
> always found that there were far more accidents on the first day that
> black ice conditions appeared in the city.

Yeah, the survivors are more careful.

I was in a car once with a crazy Greek with *no* winter skills and total
disregard for human life blasting through curves in N.  California and
Oregon with long drop-offs on the other side of the guard rail.  In a last
desperate bid to improve my actuarial category I asked him if he knew what
"black ice" was, and got no answer.  Some of the other passengers later
told me he thought I'd said "black eyes" and was threatening him. :-)

> > Here is one last piece of advice that nobody ever takes but maybe should:
>
> Are you kidding? That's the best part of the beginning of snow
> season!!! We'd always go out to some empty parking lot at night, and
> with a couple of beers to keep us warm and "improve" our reflexes,
> spend the evening doing slaloms, spin outs, fishtailing, and if you
> were really good, 360's or better. Really it's more fun than snow
> boarding. ;-)

Oh, yeah, but you don't even need snow.  A heavily graveled parking lot
will do, as long as you don't get caught. :-)

It's easy to get teenage boys to take that advice (i.e. more or less
impossible to get them to *not* take it), but I'm guessing Jean might not
be into the same kind of rowdy fun without a bit of prompting. :-)  It's
the kind of thing where you either discover the fun on your own or think
it's a crazy stupid thing to do on purpose.

This is where FWD really lets you down--you can't break her loose and
really toss the rear end around with the throttle.

Dustin