You mean it really is all about me? (was RE: [SGVLUG] Two Things...)

Dustin laurence at alice.caltech.edu
Mon Nov 14 16:06:59 PST 2005

On Mon, 14 Nov 2005, Emerson, Tom wrote:

> > Says the guy with two common names and spellings. :-)

> Gotta agree with you there:

Gee, Tom, is this a proof that my name is uncommon or that I'm a bigmouth?
:-)

Fine, but if I ever get any dirt on you you're gonna have to pay BIGTIME
if you want it covered up. :-)

>    Results 1 - 100 of about  22,400,000 for laurence
>    Results 1 - 100 of about 149,000,000 for lawrence
>    Results 1 - 100 of about   1,700,000 for dustin laurence
>
>  -- the first of which appears to be a complaint from you to the
> maintainers of the uber-FAQ at walnut creek or some such

You're right, it is apparently me.  I wouldn't have remembered that in a
million years, but I believe that was in antediluvian times (where the
flood in question is when "normal people" first got net access in large
numbers), and Walnut Creek was selling copies of the internet FAQs (the
clue that it must have been before "The September That Never Ended")
without even discussing it with their authors and maintainers.

>  -- the second significant hit implies that you sing sea shanties...
> (oh, wait, you do!)

Er, yeah.  That's not as amazing as the fact that you remember this,
though. :-)

If only those old sailors had sung songs about Linux, we could sing them
after-hours at BC. :-)

>  -- the third appears to be the subject what was of debate in the first
> hit [wow, how circular!]

The third hit I see was just a repost of something someone else wrote
about there were three *.aquaria groups.  Not related to the above except
that it was the aquaria FAQ I was maintaining.

Stunningly, someone is maintaining a copy of the old Aquarium archives I
used to have on the web too.

>  -- the fourth appears to be something you wrote in '95 and noted as
> "under construction"

Must be Physics 236-related--yeah.

>  -- it's not until the 5th significant hit that you get to somehing unrelated to you personally: "Marathon Man" staring "Dustin" Hoffman and "Laurence" Olivier...

And what's even sadder is that the hit after that is me too, though
with my face turned away from the camera in one shot and in a fencing mask
int the other, you have no way of knowing that unless you know a *lot*
more about some of my wierd interests than I think you do. :-)

And the next, and the next, and...don't I have any secrets left?  Well, at
least it doesn't seem to find any of my old humor postings, such as the
review of a non-existent wargame (someone asked about a game and
misspelled Gulf War "Golf War", so I wrote a review of "Golf War"--the
nonexistence of the game was no difficulty at all).

I think the one I'm most proud of is this:

http://www.faerytales.net/dustinl.html

:-)

Dustin