[SGVLUG] Two Things...

Chris Smith cbsmith at gmail.com
Mon Nov 14 15:08:25 PST 2005

On 11/14/05, Emerson, Tom <Tom.Emerson at wbconsultant.com> wrote:
> 1) I think we should have contact information for the speaker ...
>
> A very nice suggestion.  As you may recall, however, both Claude and I had been imploring
> everyone on this list [which, by extension, includes Chris himself as I believe he is
> subscribed to the list...] to get information about Chris and his presentation with no luck
> whatsoever.  Yes, I suppose we could have tried looking up his address ourselves, but (in
> my case at least) I figured if he wasn't answering questions from this list, he likely wouldn't
> answer direct questions either [I could very well be wrong...]

I was *very* far behind on my list e-mail, and I apologize as this
would have completely avoided the problem. Definitely the blame for
this fiasco lies with me, but there are certain tricks that would have
mitigated the impact of my own failings.

> There is also the fact that this group is very much an anarchy -- nobody in particular is
> responsible for actually making sure the presenter shows up, so when things like this
> happen, nobody is to blame... ;)

Nah, you can blame the presenter. ;-)

> heh heh -- yes, the irony was noted at the meeting, and even funnier is the fact that most
> of the hits for 'chris smith' using google returned information about a big-time spammer [a
> high-school dropout who was able to buy a Hummer or two from the profit in spamming
> others...]

Hehe, someone sent this to me when the story broke with a subject
line: "Congratulations! You are 'net famous!" ;-).

Just goes to show it is if anything *easier* to hide in plain sight these days.

--
Chris