[SGVLUG] Perl hiccup -- MD5 or not?

Jeff Carlson jeff at ultimateevil.org
Sun Nov 6 05:07:29 PST 2005

Tom Emerson wrote:
> I'm trying to set up amavisd-new and I'm running into a strange situation: the
> system claims Digest::MD5 is not installed, yet when I install it via the
> cpan/shell interface, I'm told it is up to date -- what gives?  (how can I
> verify which is correct, or force it to install anyway?)

What does this command return?

perl -MDigest::MD5 -e 1

If there is output, then the module is not properly installed.  If it's
silent, then it's installed.  If that's the case, is there any chance
maybe you have upgraded Perl?

I'm thinking maybe you upgraded Perl, then Digest::MD5 was installed
after the upgrade, and amavisd is using a copy of the pre-installed
version.  Any chance I'm right?