[SGVLUG] Adding A/V scanning to e-mail processing

Emerson, Tom Tom.Emerson at wbconsultant.com
Fri Nov 4 09:02:26 PST 2005

[...]
> Often, SpamAssassin just runs with the settings of the user
> owning that
> process, so it relies on the delivery agent to have been
> started under
> that user identity.  Of course, there's the -u flag for spamc, which
> avoids this.

hmmm -- yes, actually, I'm running this in the spamc/spamd configuration where spamassassin runs as a seperate daemon process.  I'd have to check the exact line in my postfix config, but it's quite likely I'm calling spamC with the -u $(user) flag/parameter [I was going to post it originally, but the response was getting to be a bit lengthy]

> If a message is addressed to multiple ${recipient}s, what
> happens when [...]

In my particular configuration, that is quite unlikely (I'd say "impossible", but I NEVER rely on absolutes...)  As it is, I'm processing mail fot -two- accounts: mine and my parents.  Fetchmail picks up messages from my ISP for me, and from my parent's ISP for theirs, then turns them around for local delivery.  I'm about to set up a similar system for my church, and there *might* be a possibility of the two (?) accounts they have with their ISP would get one message with both of them as recipients, but again I'll be using fetchmail to retrieve them from the ISP for localized delivery, so at best the message will have already been seperated into two messages and placed in different mailboxes.

> These are just the issues I had to deal with.  If these
> aren't issues on postfix then it means the MTA is running
> the subprocess repetitively,

these issues may still exist, but due to the way my system is configured, the messages are already single-recipient, so postfix is on "final approach", so to speak, when spamassassin gets called.  If I ever get around to creating a "family" domain, create accounts for everyone, and actually run postfix as the receiving point from "everywhere" on the internet, I'll probably run into those sorts of issues...