Poll (was Re: [SGVLUG] Possible "Cool Tools" topic)

Dustin laurence at alice.caltech.edu
Thu Nov 3 15:22:33 PST 2005

On Thu, 3 Nov 2005, Michael Proctor-Smith wrote:

> Well I ran monica but on a laptop LCD I can not adjust contrast or
> brightness so I think I miss some of the adjustablity needed.

I'm not as familiar with LCDs because I like screen real-estate so much I
always buy the most dots for my money, which is still CRTs so far.  LCDs
may not need the adjustability--they may already be set up correctly and
just need X configured.

> ...The
> lines are supposed to disapear?

This is what the talk is going to be for, but no they don't disappear, you
sit back far enough that you can't see them.  Then you adjust to get the
perceived shade the same.  If you get color distortion you do this for
each color individually.

The talk will hopefully make this clear, or at least as clear as I have it
myself.

> ...On my screen 1.2 looked look to
> bright.

It may only be relevant for CRTs.  I know that LCDs do have to do some
fancy adjusting of their own anyway, since they don't follow a simple
power-law curve already.  I thought they were tweaked until from the
outside they appeared similar to the nominal 2.5 of a CRT.  But what do I
know?  Anyway, I was tossing off numbers irresponsibly--I think 1.13 or
1.14 would be around the right guess, not 1.2.  I'm set to red, green, and
blue gamma corrections of (1.13, 1.22, and 1.33), which is a lot of
variation, in order to get the colors to balance about right.

BTW, Norman Koren says that laptop screens tend to be tough for this
because their gamma depends on viewing angle. :-(

Anyway, don't forget the title of the talk--I don't understand everything
about this by any means. :-)

Dustin