[SGVLUG] semi-OT: DRM rootkits et.

Charles Blanchard baldguru at mac.com
Wed Nov 2 20:52:07 PST 2005

On Nov 2, 2005, at 7:36 PM, Terry Hancock wrote:

> On Wednesday 02 November 2005 08:09 pm, Dustin wrote:
>
>> There was a time when people lived with the music they
>>
> could make
>
>> or none, and I can do it again.
>>
>> Depends on how much you value freedom.
>>

> It's not necessary to go quite that far. You just have to
> adjust your universe:
>
> http://www.iuma.com/

Thanks for that link Terry! I did not know that resource was
available and I am going to have fun exploring...

Both Terry and Dustin make good points about maintaining personal
freedom of choice. For me, lately Sandi and I are spending more time
taking in live shows at places like the Coffee Gallery Backstage in
Altadena (former meeting place of the DevSIG). They usually have cd's
for sale direct and if we like the artists, we can  support them
without lining the pockets of the RIAA.

I think Sony et al are desperate to counter the iPod/iTunes
phenomenon and are coming to the show just a tad too late. Time will
tell. It's a huge market and right now Apple has snagged the lion's
share. But if lots more folks start thinking the way you guys do, the
market could easily bring the RIAA/DRM conglomerates to their
collective knees.

What's that I hear? Is it the sound of customers rushing elsewhere
for their music...

--
cheers
-charlie