[SGVLUG] Call for webmasters

Douglas Burton doug at augustarts.com
Tue Jun 28 22:04:52 PDT 2005

Dustin wrote:

>I'm not personally fond of the idea of
>using a "web designer" package; having to install it is another hurdle to
>having many small contributions by different people.  The one thing we
>know is that pretty much everybody has a browser, so if our users can
>maintain their little corner through the web we've lowered the bar on
>participation that much more.

Yup. Web based maintenance is a must.

>I've been waiting for someone to offer to do the following, but no one has:
>
>Just install a few software packages and let people play for a bit before
>deciding what we like.  Perhaps even write up what we did/didn't like and
>make a collective presentation to the LUG about the different packages we
>tried.

Fun.

>I really need to do this for myself anyway, so I could probably afford to
>host a few test portals and let you guys play.  I can justify the time
>because then I'd learn things I need to know myself, and then I've helped
>out without promising to produce content on a continuing basis.  Granted,
>Michael could do this on sgvlug.net as well, so it may or may not be a
>waste of effort for me to host it, but anyway the offer is there.  What do
>you guys think?
>
>Dustin

I think that ultimately, any of the publishing types we've discussed
(wiki, blog, cms) would get the job done. I've never implemented a true
example of any of them; I've always rolled my own specialized apps.
There are so many great packages available now that there's really no
reason to build one from scratch in this case. I've been itching to try
out some of them, so I'm game.

Doug