[SGVLUG] Distributed filesystems

John Riehl jcriehl at mail.jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Jun 22 15:29:53 PDT 2005

Terry Hancock wrote:

> music files. Needless to say, playing MP3s in XMMS via an
> NFS mount is an uninspiring experience.  :-/

That's odd.  I play lots of music via NFS as well as samba mounted disk
at work. I havent had a problem.  I am a couple of router hops away, it
is only a 100 mbit line,  and I am competing with a large quatity of
other traffic.

what is your network like?   switch or hub?  wires or wireless? what is
your server like?

certainly rsyncing your files locally and running that will avoid the
problem. I dont think your problem is inherently NFS.

jr
john riehl