[SGVLUG] Distributed filesystems

Michael Proctor-Smith mproctor at surfcity.net
Wed Jun 22 14:31:42 PDT 2005

On Wed, 2005-06-22 at 14:13, Terry Hancock wrote:
> For some time, I've used an NFS mount on my home network to
> store common files I'd like to share between our computers.
>
> This was sort of okay when they were mostly images and text
> of some kind, but lately, I've wanted to save things like
> music files. Needless to say, playing MP3s in XMMS via an
> NFS mount is an uninspiring experience.  :-/

Why is it uninspiring?

> Disk space is so cheap nowadays that volume size isn't much
> of an issue anymore. The main reason to share a filesystem
> is to keep the files in synch automatically. Most of these
> files are high-read, low-write.
>
> Lately I've been reading about things like "coda" and
> "intermezzo" as alternatives to using an NFS mount. And of
> course, there's also the possibility of just using a
> conventional drive and rigging an rsync script to keep them
> up to date.
>
> I was wondering if other people in SGVLUG had anything to
> say about these options. Have you tried any of them? How
> well did it work?  Are there others I ought to be
> considering?  How would you do it? Etc.

Unless you want disconneted operation I don't see how intermezzo is
going to be more useful. Plus I think that coda in is a contstant state
of its going to work write soon.

If Speed is your problem, then you need to work on your configuration,
or your network. I have gotten more the 10MB per second, from a NFS
mount.