Free as in beer (was Re: [SGVLUG] Visual Studio .NET IDE for Linux!)

Claude Felizardo cafelizardo at gmail.com
Tue Jul 26 17:29:13 PDT 2005

On 7/26/05, Mike Dillon <mdillon at embody.org> wrote:
> begin Emerson, Tom quotation:
> > One comment posted hinted at price, as this looks to be a commercial
> > product, but I gather from the download page that the "developer"
> > edition is "free-as-in-beer", while the full enterprise edition costs
> > $$$.
>
> I've always thought that "free as in beer" is a funny phrase. Shouldn't
> it be "free as in 'free beer'", since most beer isn't free?
>
> Can someone tell me where to find this alleged free beer? ;)
>
> -md

>From the Wikipedia which has an article about "Gratis versus Libre"...

Free as in beer refers to things which are available at no monetary
cost (like free beer at a party). It can be contrasted with the
expressions free as in speech, free as in freedom, or free as in
rights, which refer to something which is free of restrictions, as in
the freedom of speech.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_as_in_beer