[SGVLUG] Visual Studio .NET IDE for Linux!

Emerson, Tom Tom.Emerson at wbconsultant.com
Tue Jul 26 16:42:09 PDT 2005

-----Original Message-----
Kevin SoftDev

Visual Studio .NET IDE for Linux!
http://dev.mainsoft.com/Default.aspx?tabid=45

==========================

Hmmm... interesting premise, and the comments that follow on that page are a mix of shill-like back-slapping congrats and cautious long-time-whiners wondering "why?"

I fall somewhat in the middle, though I don't expect this to help me at the moment (I'm still using visual studio/vb 6, but I do have a copy of .net I'm toying with) -- does it really let you utilize the full suite of what ".net" provides, or is it really "just a subset"?  And, of course, the killer question is really more of an observation: the "requirements" page still lists windows -- per the title, you're claiming to run the VS .NET IDE under Linux (at least, that's how I interperet the word "for" in the phrase "for Linux!")

With our recent string of "appearent success" in scheduling meetings through to the end of the year, we DO have the november meeting slot open -- I'm curious as to how many folks here would be interested in a hands-on-demo at that point?  (or would this be far to "boring", "technical", or otherwise "subversive, 'cause it ain't really linux" to be a worthwhile presentation?)

One comment posted hinted at price, as this looks to be a commercial product, but I gather from the download page that the "developer" edition is "free-as-in-beer", while the full enterprise edition costs $$$.