[SGVLUG] Website Testing

Charles Blanchard baldguru at mac.com
Sun Jul 24 20:53:20 PDT 2005

On Jul 20, 2005, at 2:13 PM, Emerson, Tom wrote:

> You should have seen it BEFORE I started with it -- Basically,
> Charlie was doing, as they say, "a yoeman's job" of maintaining it
> in the state it was in.  Some of it may have been "lost in the
> translation" (we were working with things like google's "cached"
> version of the page to start with, I think) and other bits were
> fall-out from doing it a little more consistently (I found mis-
> matched tags in the original, however that didn't stop the page
> from rendering...)

Thanks Tom. Shortly after I started attending sgvlug meetings, Jim
(can't for the life of me remember his last name) got a job in the
Bay Area and needed a volunteer to relieve him of the sgvlug web
site. We had one meeting wherein he showed me the code. It was laid
out with css which at that time was 'greek' to me. Fortunately, Jim
had set up the pages with clearly demarcated areas using comments
that said things like "do not alter above this  line" etc.

So for me, it was pretty simple. Once someone sent me text to use to
update the site I just logged in via ssh, fired up vim and stayed
'between the lines' so to speak. Yoeman's job? Maybe. I do remember
that at least once a month, I had to drag out my trusty VI manual to
brush up on using that 'simple' editor. ;-)

--
cheers
-charlie