[SGVLUG] Website Testing

Dustin laurence at alice.caltech.edu
Wed Jul 20 16:09:15 PDT 2005

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005, Emerson, Tom wrote:

> ouch -- we're "boring" -- no wonder attendance is down ;)

Yah, it isn't a big deal, but actually I think the page *is* boring.
That may be OK (my current page is very boring too) for us, I don't know,
but it would be pretty embarassing for something like Webspinners or a
Plone user's group. :-)

> That's one of the secrets -- you need to consider an HTML page to be "code",

It is just stunning to me that anyone capable of writing an editor would
*not* regard documents as readable code.  I understood that from about ten
seconds after I first saw TeX....

For the commercial editors, I actually think they have some vested
interest in it *not* being readable.  Why would they do even a little work
to reduce your dependence on their tool?  Lock-in is where it's at.

> The problem with using "just a plain text editor" is that once you get
> to "more than one person doing the work" [or even "one person using more
> than one computer"], you need to invest in a revision-control mechanism
> of some sort anyway -- otherwise you'll get changes overwritten by "the
> other guy with the older version of the page..."

In the case of people who have shell access to the machine, even RCS would
work.

Dustin